- This event has passed.
Managing Threatening Confrontations – Half Day
June 29, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm$50
Registration Fee: $50
Instructor: Shawn Bass, Waisman Center Community TIES
This seminar is similar to the full day in that it is designed to assist you in learning how to effectively support individuals who could experience the full range of behavioral escalation. These moments often appear chaotic-when to talk, when to step back, who to call for back up, and “when to duck.” This seminar is designed to put order to the chaos. Stages of escalation are described and each stage is paired with a positive action plan for caregivers as well as teams. The content places strong emphasis on proactive supports. The principles are taught in a straightforward manner so as to provide a framework for conceptualizing behavior escalation that can readily translate into positive plans of action.
The learning style includes power point, verbal presentation, and some physical practice, so wear comfortable clothing. You will receive extensive conference manuals (you will have to take very few notes) to take back to work for reference and to share with colleagues.
Some of what you will learn:
- A framework for understanding and recognizing stages of behavior escalation
- How to avoid “power struggles” that can result in behavioral escalation
- Skills in connecting with people early on, in order to sustain emotional control
- An array of creative communication strategies during periods of tension
- What the police know about presenting a “neutral presence” during stages of distress
- How caregivers can support both individuals and themselves during the Recovery Stage